Friday, February 25, 2011

Blossoming Almond

Here are two pictures I took today from behind my house in the Shomron. The first picture was taken towards the South, the direction of Yerushalayim. The second picture was taken towards the East, the direction of Har Gerizim. Both pictures feature the same blossoming ancient Almond tree.
The tree reminded me of Yirmyahu 1:10-12 and 31:26-35:

ראה הפקדתיך היום הזה על הגוים ועל הממלכות לנתוש ולנתוץ ולהאביד ולהרוס לבנות ולנטוע: ויהי דבר יקוק אלי לאמר מה אתה ראה ירמיהו ואמר מקל שקד אני ראה: ויאמר יקוק אלי היטבת לראות כי שקד אני על דברי לעשתו:

הנה ימים באים נאם יקוק וזרעתי את בית ישראל ואת בית יהודה זרע אדם וזרע בהמה:והיה כאשר שקדתי עליהם לנתוש ולנתוץ ולהרס ולהאביד ולהרע כן אשקד עליהם לבנות ולנטוע נאם יקוק: בימים ההם לא יאמרו עוד אבות אכלו בסר ושני בנים תקהינה: כי אם איש בעונו ימות כל האדם האכל הבסר תקהינה שניו: הנה ימים באים נאם יקוק וכרתי את בית ישראל ואת בית יהודה ברית חדשה: לא כברית אשר כרתי את אבותם ביום החזיקי בידם להוציאם מארץ מצרים אשר המה הפרו את בריתי ואנכי בעלתי בם נאם יקוק: כי זאת הברית אשר אכרת את בית ישראל אחרי הימים ההם נאם יקוק נתתי את תורתי בקרבם ועל לבם אכתבנה והייתי להם לאלהים והמה יהיו לי לעם: ולא ילמדו עוד איש את רעהו ואיש את אחיו לאמר דעו את יקוק כי כולם ידעו אותי למקטנם ועד גדולם נאם יקוק כי אסלח לעונם ולחטאתם לא אזכר עוד: כה אמר יקוק נתן שמש לאור יומם חקת ירח וכוכבים לאור לילה רגע הים ויהמו גליו יקוק צבאות שמו:אם ימשו החקים האלה מלפני נאם יקוק גם זרע ישראל ישבתו מהיות גוי לפני כל הימים:


See, I have this day set thee over the nations and over the kingdoms, to root out and to pull down, and to destroy and to overthrow; to build, and to plant. Moreover, the word of the LORD came unto me, saying: 'Jeremiah, what seest thou?' And I said: 'I see a rod of an almond-tree.' Then said the LORD unto me: 'Thou hast well seen; for I watch over My word to perform it.'

Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will sow the house of Israel and the house of Judah with the seed of man, and with the seed of beast. And it shall come to pass, that like as I have watched over them to pluck up and to break down, and to overthrow and to destroy, and to afflict; so will I watch over them to build and to plant, saith the LORD. In those days they shall say no more: 'The fathers have eaten sour grapes, and the children's teeth are set on edge.' But every one shall die for his own iniquity; every man that eateth the sour grapes, his teeth shall be set on edge.

Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah; not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; forasmuch as they broke My covenant, although I was a lord over them, saith the LORD. But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the LORD, I will put My law in their inward parts, and in their heart will I write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people; and they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying: 'Know the LORD'; for they shall all know Me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD; for I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin will I remember no more.

Thus saith the LORD, Who giveth the sun for a light by day, and the ordinances of the moon and of the stars for a light by night, who stirreth up the sea, that the waves thereof roar, the LORD of hosts is His name: If these ordinances depart from before Me, saith the LORD, then the seed of Israel also shall cease from being a nation before Me for ever.